Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lord of Ultima: Palace City Layout

The endgame is upon us, with the recent 'Forge of Virtue' update. A lot of people are now building palaces, so here is my palace city layout design.

You can see this Palace City Layout in the LoU Flash City Planner
Storage: 2,975,000 wood/stone, 1,375,000 iron, 4,575,000 food
Food Production: 28,220 per hour (will vary depending on your lake placements)
Construction speed: 6,900%

The palace itself is not in this layout as the flash city planner has not been updated to include palaces yet. However, you can see the allocated 3x3 spot for the palace up the top, ringed by the market places, moonglow tower, city guard house and castle.

My design is based on the following logic:
  • There needs to be a really high construction speed, so your palaces build fast (especially the higher level ones). Thus, there are tons of cottages.
  • Given the high construction speed primary requirement, there really is no space for defense buildings so you need to rely on external defense. 
  • There is a token city guard house as it only takes one slot, and you can build city guard slowly over time.
  • There is some food production so if you do get sieged, it will help feed your supporting troops. Similarly, there is a lot of food storage for sieges.
  • There is more wood/stone storage then iron storage as there is no need for iron here. You need wood to train the city guard and wood/stone to repair your city, if it gets damaged.
  • The moonglow tower allows for purification, for example, if people still ship you resources after enlightenment ends. You can at least purify the excess.
  • There were three building slots left over, so I put in three marketplaces, just in case you had a reason to ship resources elsewhere.

For towers, I use the standard:
  • Lookout Tower x2 to give 21 hours of attack advanced warning. I find 1 tower/11 hours is not enough.
  • Ballista Tower x22 to protect against your enemies catapulting your palace.
  • Lord of Ultima is an online web browser based strategy game. More information can be found at my Lord of Ultima Coverage page.
  • If you wish to jump straight in, you can sign up at http://www.lordofultima.com/en/ref/2300431315.
  • As best described by the creators of the game:
    "Lord of Ultima is EA’s first game in the free Strategy MMO genre and is completely playable in a web browser. Developed by EA’s Phenomic studio, the game’s creator Volker Wertich (the genius behind strategy classics such as the Settlers) takes this genre to the next level. Lord of Ultima features deep strategic gameplay and multiple social features including an advanced trading system, alliance features, online chat, and forums. At launch it will be available in English and German language.

    Set in the legendary Ultima universe, the game takes you to the new world of Caledonia, formed from the remains of Sosaria which was shattered into countless islands. You start your journey with a humble village which you grow over time into a mighty and prosperous capital. On your path to glory you will have to expand your power by creating additional cities, exploring new continents and forging a vast empire. You must master the art of diplomacy and trade as well as the military activities of spying, plundering, attacking and sieging enemy cities to finally become the mighty and feared Lord of Ultima."

12 comments:

  1. No.
    I wouldn't worry that much on build speeds. You need to start building just about when englightment is to end, so that you can finish requesting resources up to the last minute. When it's building, it's no longer enlightened. You then still need for the city to be re-enlightened, and you can take that time to leave it building. Even so, higher level palaces might do take a long time, so it's not a bad idea anyways...

    NO WOOD/RES production, especially not iron!! All res should be shipped externally. I do concur on having food production and some warehouses for storage, but you might as well do a farm city just nearby. Shipping can be made to travel less than an hour from a few squares away, so i wouldn't fret that much either.

    People should NOT ship you res after enlightment ends, only "palace delivery". Normal delivery cannot be used for palaces. So no reason to have a moonglow tower.

    Same, NO reason to have marketplaces either.

    So, what would I do? fill the center with cottages, that makes sense, and then only farms and the cityguard house. Balance the farm production to have a lot of cityguards, and some warehouses for feeding the external troops. If you're being attacked, only local defense won't be enough, thats for sure, you WILL need external support...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments.

    It's only 4 slots for the marketplaces/moonglow anyhow, so I threw them in for now. I have had people not pay attention and ship post enlightenment.

    I do want reasonable build speed, as remember, if it's still building, it's not an enlightenment candidate. I want it to finish building and become eligible asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say that your blog was a huge help for me and keep up the good work.
    I just want to point out that you could put some cottages near the farms to get more food.

    like this: http://bit.ly/kjDdhB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, cool, thanks very much for the good amendment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't a palace require a 3x3 space?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. There is 3x3 space left up top, where the castle is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guz, every time I have a new question on building I find you have an answer again! Please keep posting builds! I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I must say something too, after all these weeks that I'm keeping on using your blog to help me build properly and also turn me from a noob to not noob :)
    Only one thing, I did the WG city according to your design with a few litte changes and in the end I got 100 more WG that your layout, don't aks me how I did, I just know in the end I got 900.
    thanks again for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are start with creating a new project. Our web application would ask visitors for a name and redirect them to a Hi! page.space strategy games

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to say that your blog was a huge help for me. I agree with your proposal free online strategy games war.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do want reasonable build speed, as remember, if it's still building, it's not an enlightenment candidate. I want it to finish building and become eligible asap.top online strategy games.
    real time strategy game.

    ReplyDelete