Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Aloriah: Midgard Progress Update #4

I shall prevail, I mean I am still #1, barely:

War came to town! I think this was the first major war on Midgard. As expected, the Ragnarök alliance moved on me. Unprovoked I must say, I guess they wanted to slow me down. Here is an action shot of my piece of my neighbourhood in Dry Steppes crowded by armies belonging to Draak and Paintastic:

Too be honest, I was unprepared for the scale of army sizes. I had thought running around with three thousand Berserkers was uber but as you can see from the two following sample battle reports, army sizes are a lot bigger:

Basically, my little armies got smashed and smashed again! For three days and nights, Draak and Paintastic camped my poor neighbourhood, attacking my village every time their attack cool downs were reset. Coram (Warrior) was trapped in village defense and Moroose (Warrior) just stayed out dead. My defense army would get wiped out and I would have to retrain more units for the next attack. Thankfully, there are many things advantageous to the defender such as:
  • Hero Protective skill
  • Hero Resistance skill
  • Wall
  • Moat
  • Towers

They did not get anywhere close to destroying my village though, 94 happiness is the lowest that it got. I was also building my wall/moat/towers as much as I could. Over time, my total unit count crept up. Eventually, it got to the point whereby their loses was starting to match mine, so they pulled out. However, they had put me back by reducing my scenario point farming rate and stopping my Molten Ashlands expansion for now.

With the war over (for now), I have set about building a large military force and restarted my scenario point farming. I do have to keep a good lookout for Ragnarök forces to ensure they do not catch an army of mine out in the field with a superior force, so it is not as easy as before. By the way, one thing for Black Dragon farming is that you should have the bandit tactics skill and endeavour to fight on forest or mountain cells, so as to reduce the loses you take.

To be honest, I am still evaluating whether I should expand to Molten Ashlands early, as I am not sure the increased resource rate would match the resources consumed in defending your Molten Ashlands village and loss of the "Carrot on a Stick" buff. I think it may be better to use the resources to upgrade the supply buildings in the first four zones to maximum first. Therefore, I do not feel I have been set back that much. In the long term, expanding to Molten Ashlands is important for army size. More building capacity allows for more taverns/etc. It would also give access to Ancient Ruins. Do they exist though? I have not seen any at all.

I have several small armies scouting Molten Ashlands searching portal stones so when the time comes, I can get my Molten Ashlands village up relatively quick. A side benefit of massive scouting, is that if you hit all knowledge obelisks, you can advance your research levels by a lot. Here is where I am for you to gauge:

In order to curb the power of the Ragnarök alliance, I went looking for allies and have now joined the Roman Empire alliance. Initially, I had planned to solo PVE mostly through the game, but it seems like there is a lot of PVP action still to come. The Ragnarök alliance is dominating at present, so I ask of all of you, please rise up against the evil empire! Do not be oppressed!

  • Aloriah is an online web browser based strategy game. More information can be found at my Aloriah Coverage page.
  • If you wish to jump straight in, you can sign up at http://www.aloriah.com/?ref=guzzer.
  • As best described by the creators of the game:
    "Aloriah is a free online web browser game based on mythologies of our time.
    Rule a civilization and experience epic events together with thousands of other players.
    • Play for free directly online through your internet browser
    • Expand villages, rally your armies and level your heroes
    • Explore the lands of Aloriah to find its mysteries
    • Journey on legendary quests together with your friends
    • Choose to worship the gods of good or evil"

3 comments:

  1. it's a shame that they disturbed your plans like that... i hope you keep that #1 rank... just shows them that they're not the only ones who can dominate the leader-boards

    ..-.. razor0wire ..-..

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Aloriah you need to balance your own growth and development with making sure the competition does not go faster then you do.

    Guzzer, the fact that we jumped you should be seen as a complement. You were doing too well and something had to be done. I usually don´t go around stomping other players armies and villages, but in your case it was necessary.

    Ragnarök killed the Mother Dragon today. Victory was ours. But with the knowledge of this round, you will do better in the next and I hope to see you there again...

    Draak, proud member of Ragnarök

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, big congratulations to you guys. You did it a lot quicker then I expected. The pace is a lot faster then I imagined it would be.

    Yep, for sure, will learn from this round and be there next time. :)

    ReplyDelete